What's yang-yum?

Yang-yum is the Corean word for marinade! This blog will offer my mother's wonderful home-cooked Corean meals. These dishes are a cultural legacy and a way for me to connect with my ancestors, to honor them, and to take care of my health. I will keep adding recipes as I learn them!

Friday, May 13, 2011

Ga ji namul (marinated eggplant)

slicing eggplant
steaming eggplant, skin down

checking to see if it's ready
tearing it into strips



















Ingredients:
-        4 chinese eggplants (long and purple), ends cut off, halve crosswise, halve lengthwise
-        2 T soy sauce
-        1 T white vinegar
-        2 t sesame oil
-        1 t sugar
-        1 t sesame seeds
-        ½ t ground Korean red chili pepper (go chu karu)
-        2 cloves minced garlic
-        1 scallion, chopped
Steps:
1.     Put water in a pot with a steamer setup.
2.     Add the eggplant and steam for 8 minutes or until a chopstick will pierce the flesh.
3.     Transfer to a bowl and let sit until it is cool enough to handle.
4.     Make marinade by mixing the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl: sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, gochu karu, sugar, garlic, scallions.  Taste and adjust to your liking.
5.     Tear egg plants into long thin strips.
6.     Add marinade and mix well.  (Only marinate what you can eat as the vinegar will ferment the eggplant by the next day.  You can save extra eggplant in the refrigerator.)  
7.     Taste again and adjust to your liking.
Serve it up!

2 comments:

  1. yum, I'm so making this as soon as I can get my hands on an eggplant

    ReplyDelete
  2. super yummy, just made this dish. Will post a picture soon. Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete